Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Number Ten

In honor of the New Year, The Dunyun has decided to list our ten favorite people of 2010. We will count down, announcing one each day.

Number Ten: The Kid Who Forgot to Renew Course Guide

Number ten on The Dunyun’s People of the Year goes to the kid who decided to delete all of the old Course Guide reviews. No, it wasn’t Derek Shmanner. It was some piece of shit ’10 who thought that CourseRank was gonna be the hottest thing since sliced bread. WRONG!

My teachers in 3rd grade taught me a valuable lesson, which is that once something is deleted, you can’t get it back. This was before that AutoSave bullshit we have now. In the 4th grade, my teachers repeated this message. We were taught not to throw out our old assignments. In fact, I’m pretty sure every single teacher I’ve ever had has done their best to instill this message in me. Because it’s common fucking sense.

But then here comes this ’10 who thinks, “I’m a big shot senior, and I can do whatever I want without any consequences. People are going to praise me for my audacity, for investing in the CourseRank system. And while I’m at it, out of sheer stupidity, I’ll just delete all of the SA Course Guide reviews from the last decade, as well.”

SA Course Guide was the only good thing that SA consistently brought to my life. Oh, you put The New York Times in the dining halls? Now the chotches can have something to carry around in the crook of their arm. Great.

Whenever I wanted to know whether or not a class was a gut, I turned to Course Guide. Unfortunately, Dartmouth isn’t at the level of including gut status in the descriptions of classes, maybe next to those letters like TMV and SLA that I still don’t understand. Are those the initials of the professor or something?

Course Guide was a treasure trove of information. Which classes are good? Which profs are good? Lots of reading? Little reading? How were the exams structured? Was the grading on the papers lenient? Was the professor anal about citation formatting? And most importantly, was the professor hot?

I’ll never know if my professors are hot without Course Guide. Yeah, I could look them up on their departmental website, but those are portraits and don’t give any credit to butterfaces.

Don’t get used to the anonymous facetime of this post, Mr. I-Accidentally-Deleted-Course-Guide-or-Whatever. At some point in the future, some fucktard like you will be finding a new server out of which to base The Dunyun, and will delete this post. I hate people like you. Enjoy #10.

- James Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment