Thursday, October 20, 2011

Football Team Really Pissed They Had Such High Expectations This Year

After a disappointing 1-4 start, the Dartmouth football team and its supporters are all really pissed. The anger is not directed at the poor performance of the team, but rather the fact that they had actually convinced themselves that this was going to be the year.

Coach Bucky Stevens took partial responsibility, “I feel like I’ve let our boys down. I never should’ve let them get their hopes up like this and I blame myself. We’re Dartmouth football, we’re proud of it, and we should never let ourselves forget who we are with unrealistic expectations like winning. ”


However, Stevens also put blame on President Kim, “Before he got here, people hardly noticed football. You could completely avoid us by not going to games or GDX. Then he started sending an excessive amounts of campus wide blitzes about our games and literally throwing bags of money at us so people thought we should start winning.”

Alum Bryan Weaver ’63, who donated the lights allowing for the night game on Memorial Field, also apologized for raising expectations and getting people overly excited about the team.

One of the team’s captains, Harrison Kutcher ’12, explained his feelings toward the losing season, “If you had told me at the end of freshman year that we’d have a win at this point, I would’ve been pumped. One whole win? Let’s go. I'm just pissed at myself for having such high expectations. It was totally avoidable.”

Standout receiver Preston F. Flyers was heard asking a teammate outside the locker room, “Do you think they’re still looking for players on the rugby 7s team?”

No comments:

Post a Comment